Lands of Tamriel, an Epic Fantasy
As noted in previous sections, when purchasing spells the character is limited by Active Points, School/College Magic Skill Roll purchase, character must take whole spell (advantages and limitations – further, the spell itself cannot be modified), all spells cost END (AP/10=END).
Spells can be created outside of game-play. They must be based on the Skyrim spell school and templates. Such as Destruction school has Fireball and the character must have a ‘KS: Destruction School skill roll’ to cast the spell. Further, it typically requires Gestures and Incantations. All spells must use Endurance (1 point per 10 active points). The spell can not have variable advantage, nor can the spell be increased or reduced in effectiveness (other than bad die rolls (4 body vs 1 body damage). The spell created becomes a fixed aspect of the Fantasy Hero world and should be placed on the formulaic created spell list wiki page.
Spells cannot be created inside game-play. Meaning, the character cannot make up a spell on the fly or modify an existing spell to gain a different or varied effect.
All spells must be approved by the GM and below 30 active points.
- All spells have fixed limitations: Gestures (to start or continuous), Incantations (to start or continuous), Costs Endurance (to start or continuous), and Focus (OAF or OIF) and a Magic Skill Roll based on the school (listed below).
- A character is able to add additional limitations and or advantages. This allows the character to add his or own personal flare to the spell. However, this is not a variable limitation or variable advantage. The limitations and advantages chosen are made static upon the character’s obtaining of the spell. Therefore, when choosing Fireball, the character may want the spell to have the explosion advantage. Upon taking the spell, that particular variety of fireball will be explosive, forever. The character may purchase another fireball spell that is not explosive.
- The active points noted on the individual spell are the maximum active point output that the particular spell is capable of producing.
- Alteration Spells – The School of Alteration involves the manipulation of the physical world and its natural properties. This skill makes it easier to cast spells like Waterbreathing, magical protection, and Paralysis.
- Conjuration Spells – The School of Conjuration governs raising the dead or summoning creations from Oblivion. This skill makes it easier to cast these spells as well as Soul Trap and bindings.
- Destruction Spells – The School of Destruction involves the harnessing the energies of fire, frost and shock. This skill makes it easier to cast spells like Fireball, Ice Spike, and Lightning Bolt.
- Illusion Spells – The School of Illusion involves manipulating the mind of the enemy. This skill makes it easier to cast spells like Fear, Calm, and Invisibility.
- Restoration Spells – The School of Restoration involves control over life forces. This skill makes it easier to cast spells like Healing, Turn Undead, and magical Wards.
- Enchanting – The more powerful the enchanter, the stronger the magic he can bind to his weapons and armor. Enchanting is a different mechanic than an actual casting school. However it is still a school with which one must learn before having the ability to enchant an object.